Property Usage Review
Accurates ‘property usage review’ specialists worked with this global automotive manufacturer with a view to obtaining recognition for the fact that the particular pattern of annual business ebb and flow within their regional distribution warehouses were appropriate for discretionary rate relief.
Our rate compliance audit specialist (a former local authority revenues officer), gathered supply chain data with a view to proposing to the billing authorities that the company’s unique annual business cycle meant that it should be treated as a special case and granted discretionary relief. Our specialist auditor then proposed to the determining officers how the billing authorities might take a pioneering approach to the exercise of statutory discretion in respect of identifiable sets of circumstances. The next step in the process was to compile and present comprehensively documented and carefully argued reports to the relevant determining officers.
Over £700,000 was recovered. The billing authority’s verification processes were rigorous and thorough. However, Accurates knowledge and experience prevailed and the determining officer eventually accepted our progressive theories and ground breaking approach in full.
Accurates – key working methods:
• Desktop forensic analyses of computed liabilities within our compliance audit centre to avoid disruption to clients’ operational activities
• Identification of potential for reduced business rate charges via the examination of ‘virtual’ demand notices produced using our rate liability calculator programmes
• Selection of most appropriate and effective methods for securing the maximum rebate for clients, both retrospectively and going forward
• Preparation, submission and monitoring of detailed compliance and audit claims to billing authorities by Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation qualified former local authority revenues officers
• Negotiation of claims with billing authorities, including any responses to Revenues Officers’ queries
• Ensuring local interpretations, judgements, determinations and systems meet legal and administrative requirements.