Telecom Fibre Optics - The Government will provide a new 100% business rates relief for new full-fibre infrastructure for a five year period from 1 April 2017 to support the rollout of new full-fibre broadband infrastructure and future 5G communications to homes and businesses.
Public lavatories – the government will allow local authorities in England to use their discretionary relief powers to support publicly owned public lavatories from 1 April 2018.
Local newspapers – the government will introduce a £1,500 business rates discount for office space occupied by local newspapers in England, up to a maximum of one discount per local newspaper title and per hereditament, and up to state aid limits, for 2 years from 1 April 2017.
Rural rate relief – In England you can get rural rate relief if your business is in a rural area with a population below 3,000. Business rates are not payable if a business is in an eligible area and it is either:
- the only village shop or post office, with a rateable value of up to £8,500;
- the only public house or petrol station, with a rateable value of up to £12,500.
If the revaluation means a business no longer gets rural relief, the liability should not rise by more than £50 per month from 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018.
A number of other reliefs are available for qualifying businesses/premises as follows:
- Mandatory relief for charities/sports clubs
- Discretionary relief for charities/sports clubs
- Transitional relief/transitional hardship relief
- Business Growth Accelerator Relief/New and improved property relief (Scotland)
- Hydropower Relief (Wales)
- Hardship Relief
- Disabled Persons Relief (Scotland)
- Enterprise Area Relief
- District Heating Relief (Scotland)
- Renewable Energy Generation Relief (Scotland)
- Nursery Relief/Day Nursery Relief
- Fibre Infrastructure Relief (Scotland)
- Relief for Telecommunication Masts (Scotland)
- Reverse Vending Machine Relief (Scotland)
- Local discounts (provided under The Localism Act)
Further information is available by contacting the Accurates team.